Thursday, February 21, 2013

Quality or quality?

Recently I was writing a note in favor of choosing quality over quantity. But as I progressed on it, and read back the things I was writing, I came to realize something new and interesting... so here it is, the final cut from 3 different notes:

Quality is important to me, I have always preferred good, lasting and reliable things. I prefer to enjoy the flavor of a good chocolate over a whole bag that takes me half hour to finish (even tho I know that I'll be hungry soon after). I will stay more in one place to get to know it instead of just crossing it out from the list and forgetting about it a couple of years later. I prefer to have phew friends as long as I know that they will be there when I need them. I have loved phew women but I still remember every single moment I had with them, and I have no regrets for they are all perfect to my eyes.

But there is another side to all of this. I have always said that luck is something you have to earn, that life gives opportunities equally to everyone (life may be a bitch, but she is fair) but only those who are looking for them will get to notice one when it presents itself. That was the turn over, the more opportunities you find, friends you meet, things you have or notes you write. The more you do, more the chances of one “lucky” strike. And also practice makes master, right? The more you do something, the better you become at it.

So... quantity brings quality. But it is also a fact that less is more, that by doing less things you can do them better. So how does this system work? Less quantity brings more quality, and more quantity brings more quality. Well, yeah! Took me a long time to realize something as simple as that. There doesn't need to be a contradiction. It all comes down to this, do less but do it right... or do as much as you can... both of them will lead you to a better result. My conclusion is that quality is the result of effort, not the lack of quantity.

I have never been the best at something, but I'm competitive in almost anything. I do not have much, but I am proud of the things I have. There is not much love in my life, but all of it is disinterested and unconditional. And if I compare the small amount of people I can call “friend” with the huge amount of people I have met in my life, I realize how special and extraordinary you all are and how “lucky” I was to have found the opportunity of meeting you.

Thank you all, you are the proof that all of my efforts are well rewarded.

No comments:

Post a Comment