Thursday, February 21, 2013

Just part of the routine.

I want to tell you a story today, its based on a true story even though some things might not be completely accrued. A guest, that could not even remember my name, pointed at me screaming -you!- and came to me asking if I was really a Mexican. She heard it from my chief yesterday night during the presentation of the team after the show had ended. -Yes-, I answered proudly. And she commented that i didn't look like a Mexican. -Mexicans should all be small, dark skin, eyes and hair-. So I laughed with irony to make her think she was being eloquent. I fake this things quite often, and I hear this comment also quite often so it was nothing new. So I nicely answered - I am sorry that I am not able to fit into the cliché, but tomorrow I will bring a big hat with me so you can take a picture-.

It is quite easy to be offensive, but you require a lot of talent to offend me. And let me tell you, this woman was a great contender. While the fake giggles and whispers were still fading I tried to make my way out of it, but she noticed and quickly pulled my arm and said -before you go, let me just ask you one more question... what is a Mexican doing here in the Canary Islands? Is it not too far away from home?- So, after getting her hand away from me I smiled and answered, in the same pretentious tone as her. -Well, you already know what I do here... I believe you saw me yesterday. And I am here for the exact reason that you just mentioned... it is far away from home, I want to see the world while I can-

This was not enough for her, so breaking her promise she kept asking more and more questions that I can even consider routine and that I avoid as much as possible. But she had everything already figured out. -how old are you?- 24, -how long have you been doing “this”?- for almost 3 years now, -what did you do before?- university, -really?- yeah, -what did you study?- I started engineer but didn't finish cause I don't want to practice engineering anymore (I even gave full answer knowing that she would push more), -but you can not do “this” for ever... what will you do when you are 30?- well... I do not know what I will be, but I can tell you what I will not be... “this”, so I want to do it while I can. -But you seem to be a smart boy, you should do something better with your life and continue as engineer!- Well, just as not all Mexicans have dark skin, not all smart people end up being engineers.

With such persistent guests it is always the same story, always the same answers. But I would not be writing this if “she” would be just another annoying guest who thinks that knows what is best for me. Ohh no. She kept going where she shouldn't have... -And, what does your mother think about this?- She is proud of me. -Reeaally? (with a tone that made it very clear where this was going to end... and at this point I knew I had to run away... now!)- Yes, she is, and my dad too. -They should know better (she said), if you were my son I would not allow something like this- Well... I am very glad that you are not my mother, cause I love my parents very much and they are the nicest people you would ever meet, and I'm sure that my chief also appreciates the fact that you only have one son (poor guy) or else there would be any entertainers left to hire.

Of course she got upset about my tone, but no one messes with the ones I love. So after a short silence I continued and said goodbye to her. -Well, it was a pleasure talking to you, and if you have any complains about the way my mother raised me, feel free to talk to my chief Jordi or directly to the management of this hotel. My name is Matias, as you can read (pointing to my badge) or just “the Mexican guy” would be enough. I hope to see you for bingo at four O'clock and if not I wish you a nice day-. I had never been so rude to a guest before in my career, not even to random people who have also tried to offend me, I think this place is really starting to affect me more than I though. But you know what? I liked it, she deserved it for being so pretentious. I have always said that I am too nice, specially to people that do not deserve nice. So there is a first one for everything... right?

No comments:

Post a Comment